MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: France to sell military jets, weapons to Kuwait  (Read 5402 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
France to sell military jets, weapons to Kuwait
« on: February 12, 2009, 03:47:33 AM »
France to sell military jets, weapons to Kuwait
By DIANA ELIAS , 02.11.09, 03:01 PM EST

France is in discussions to sell combat jets, frigates and an anti-missile defense system to Kuwait, the French president said Wednesday, the latest effort to raise his country's profile in the Middle East.

French President Nicolas Sarkozy said the two countries would also consider updating their defense pact and cementing "a strategic partnership," during his brief visit to the oil-rich Gulf state.
Article Controls

"Defense ministers are in deep discussions," and will try to reach agreement on the weapons deal by the end of the year, Sarkozy told reporters in Kuwait City.

He said Kuwait was considering buying up to 28 Rafale jets, multi-role combat aircraft made by Dassault Aviation in France. He provided no information about the cost of the jets or any of the other weapons.

France signed a defense pact with Kuwait after the 1991 Gulf War; France was a member of the international coalition that freed Kuwait from a seven-month Iraqi occupation.

Kuwait is still rebuilding its military, which was devastated by the Iraqi invasion.

Sarkozy said France also would open a military base with air force and navy capabilities in the neighboring United Arab Emirates in April "to help (maintain) stability in the area."
Comment On This Story

The French base in Abu Dhabi would be one of only a few run by Western powers, including the United States, in the oil-rich region, and would allow French defense contractors to showcase their hardware.
Related Stories

Kuwait is a major U.S. ally and is host to a large American military base.

Source
http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2009/02/11/ap6040253.html?loomia_ow=t0:a16:g12:r3:c0.246579:b21910491

Offline F-111 C/C

• Hero of Flight
Re: France to sell military jets, weapons to Kuwait
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 05:29:47 AM »
France is getting desperate because Rafale sales haven't really materialized like they'd hoped.
Wars are won by carrying the 'heavy iron' downtown!

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 02:17:04 PM »
They look so good I guess once you add everything up the French may price themselves out there equipment tends to be on the pricey side at least according to there rep.   

Offline F-111 C/C

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 05:58:25 PM »
I was suprised how small the Rafale was in person.

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 07:10:14 PM »
You seen one in person?   I don't see where they carry all there fuel for those long range hops.

According to the specs it seem to be a good performer and France been flying them for years now.  Did I send you the dash speed issue on the Rafale?  I guess more power and a AESA radar and this would be a done deal for most.  I read that France is in no rush to produce the new engine, I guess money issues.

The Mirage 2000/5 series was always slightly under powered.  I only found out a little while ago that just before the first Gulf War Iraq was going to place a large order in and would have pumped life and fresh money into the Mirage 2000 program.  The Iraqi's always liked their Mirage F1 fighters the best they had good up times compared to the Russian gear they had.  It was about this time and righter after when the F-16 kick ass and took names. 

And according to this guy from Pakistan in one of the other forums I'm in the UAE uses there Vipers more then their Mirage 2000-5/9s.  Pakistan trains, flies, and maintains the UAE aircraft since the UAE has a difficult time just having enough pilots. He mentioned that in 2006/07 only 4 pilots came through their fighter training program. 

I don't know how to check it and I Google it to death but he mentioned that Pakistani pilots have flown the Mirage 2005 and 9, and Block-60 Vipers from the UAE to bases in Pakistan and back.  He said it's not a long flight and was use for pilot training.  Imagine if Pakistan's Chinese friends were allowed to sort of look under the hood on one of these trips?  I think the US would flip out if Block-60 Vipers were in Pakistan without the US knowing?   Think it happen?

Offline Cheetah C

• Pilot
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 07:33:26 PM »
I doubt it. I recon the US has probably placed rather strict operating instructions on the Block 60s if you get my drift...
But be that as it may, going back to the Rafael: One big advantage it has is that I heard a while ago it was test flowen with conformal fuel tanks. An attractive selling point I'm sure....

Offline F-111 C/C

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 12:16:08 AM »
I agree with Cheetah. The U.S. is pretty tight with their proprietary stuff I think for the exact reason of any type of exchange that may occur.

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 01:42:24 AM »
This guy is a Mod in a different forum I'm and he saying it true and heard from a Pakistan trainer pilot. I Google but couldn't find anything wish I knew somebody who could research it from the French side.  The Mirage 2000-5 information and MICA missiles would be very useful to know a certain country right across from China uses both.

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA