MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: IAF official: All F-16I pilots were exposed to carcinogen in cockpit  (Read 4617 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
IAF official: All F-16I pilots were exposed to carcinogen in cockpit

All Israel Air Force pilots who work with Sufa-type F-16Is have been exposed to a cancerous substance found in the cockpit of one of the fighter planes last week, the defense establishment believes. Extended exposure to the substance, a form of formaldehyde, is believed to increase the risk of leukemia.

Pilots began to complain of sore throats about three years ago, but the number of complaints rose recently. Most complaints came from pilots serving at the Hatzerim Air Force base. Army sources say an investigation at the time did not locate the irritant.   A senior Air Force officer yesterday said the source of the toxic substance had not been determined, and that it was detected only when the plane engines were running at full capacity. Experts are trying to determine whether the offending substance may have come from pollution from cars, homes or cigarette smoke, or whether it was from the F-16Is themselves.

Since the initial discovery of the substance last week, four planes have been examined, and only one was found to contain the toxin. The entire fleet of F-16Is is to undergo inspection over the next few days.

Meanwhile, practice flights with these planes have been canceled. Combat flights, however, are being carried out as normal.

In addition, a joint U.S.-Israeli team has been set up to investigate the incident, including members of the U.S. and Israeli air forces, and the F-16I's manufacturer, Lockheed Martin.

The American aerospace company said it was unaware of other air forces that use the F-16Is having similar incidents. The plane is used by the air forces of Switzerland, Greece and the United Arab Emirates.

Link
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/967353.html

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Re: IAF official: All F-16I pilots were exposed to carcinogen in cockpit
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 02:16:55 PM »
Switzerland?  ;D ;D ;D
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Re: IAF official: All F-16I pilots were exposed to carcinogen in cockpit
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 09:57:47 PM »
Good catch I have no idea why Switzerland is mentioned. 

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA