MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Lockheed May Sell Egypt 24 F-16 Jets, Stevens Says (Update2)  (Read 5480 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Lockheed May Sell Egypt 24 F-16 Jets, Stevens Says (Update2)
By Edmond Lococo

May 28 (Bloomberg) -- Lockheed Martin Corp., the world’s largest defense company, may sell Egypt 24 F-16 jets to replace aging aircraft, Chief Executive Officer Robert Stevens said.

“The case in Egypt is unfolding,” Stevens said today at the Sanford C. Bernstein Strategic Decisions Conference in New York, without disclosing the potential contract value in the Webcast presentation. “As you fly these airplanes in operations, there is ordinary attrition that occurs.”

Egypt began flying the F-16 in 1982, after years of using military equipment supplied by the former Soviet Union, and received a total of 220 of the aircraft called Fighting Falcons through 2002. An order for 24 of the jets would be worth about $1 billion, excluding any support contract, said Peter Arment, an analyst with Broadpoint AmTech in Greenwich, Connecticut.

“The number of F-16s acquired on the international market remains very healthy and will keep production running into the middle of the next decade,” Arment said. “The F-16 is a very mature production program. They have healthy margin performance on this program so any additional orders allow Lockheed to continue to build momentum for higher earnings growth.”

Stevens made the announcement ahead of a scheduled four-day overseas trip by U.S. President Barack Obama next month that will include a stop in Egypt, as well as Saudi Arabia, France, and Germany.

The F-16 is flown by 25 nations and more than 4,400 of the aircraft have been delivered over the life of the program through March 19.

Lockheed posted total sales of $42.7 billion last year. Bethesda, Maryland-based Lockheed gained $1.78, or 2.2 percent, to $82.99 at 4:01 p.m. in New York Stock Exchange composite trading. The stock lost 23 percent in the past 12 months.

Source
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601116&sid=arSDZUJ0UdT4&refer=africa

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Re: Lockheed May Sell Egypt 24 F-16 Jets, Stevens Says (Update2)
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 05:41:36 PM »
Does anyone have any information on what Egypt is doing or has done with regards to the existing fleet of F-16s? Any Updates or Life Extensions?
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 12:19:40 AM »
An Egyptian poster in this other forum I'm in mention that the EAF doesn't have ARRAMS for their Vipers and France didn't sell MICA for the older Mirage 2000 they have?   I looked on a site known for F-16s and didn't see anything about ARRAMS could that be right Egypt doesn't have radar guided missiles in their inventory?  Just sounds wrong to me does anybody know? 

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 03:58:28 AM »
AMRAAM you mean right?

I think you are right, a lot of nations received F-16s but no AMRAAMs. And only recently have they've been cleared to buy them with these new F-16s I think. Part of the big Arab arms agreement of some years ago under Bush, which was balanced with the contract enabling Israel to buy more arms.

No active radar guided missiles, I think you are right. They do have semi-active radar guided missiles, the Super 530. And perhaps also AIM-7 for their F-16s (only seen them with AIM-9s though). And I suppose they used to have semi-active R-27 missiles on those MiG-23s as well.

Sounds wrong? Many nations never got the AMRAAM or at least not until the last decade, despite buying aircraft that are capable AMRAAM platforms. And Russia had the same policy with regards to the R-77 at first. That's why everyone is asking about it when new MiGs or Flankers are delivered to a foreign operator.

• Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 04:27:02 AM »
Thanks webmaster just think Egypt has hundreds of jets fighters but in 2009 they don't even have radar guided missiles.

Offline shawn a

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 07:59:13 AM »
How about Egypt closes the tunnels to gaza in return for a few AMRAAMS?
I have a feeling any AMRAAMS launched at Israeli aircraft would probably NOT hit their targets.

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA