MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Romania could purchase second hand F-16 planes  (Read 3945 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Romania could purchase second hand F-16 planes
« on: September 11, 2008, 01:52:54 AM »
Romania could purchase second hand F-16 planes
 de A.C.  HotNews.ro
Marţi, 9 septembrie 2008,

Romanian authorities, who plan to replace the hunting MiG-12 planes could opt to purchase second hand F-16 planes, Defense state secretary Corneliu Dobritoiu declared, AFP informs. He added that in 10 years time, F-35 will be NATO's plane. Thus, he declared that Romania needs to take this information into account because if Romania will fail to invest in an airplane compatible with F35 might be isolated.

He showed that Romania needs the planes as soon as possible because Romanian military forces have to face insurgents and engage in dangerous missions in Iraq and Afghanistan. Thus, Romania could purchase 24 second hand planes and 24 attack helicopters instead of buying 48 new planes but available in 2030.

Defense minister Teodor Melescanu declared in August that the ministry will start procedures to acquire fighting planes, for some 3.5 billion euro.

Source
http://english.hotnews.ro/stiri-top_news-4277448-romania-could-purchase-second-hand-16-planes.htm

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Re: Romania could purchase second hand F-16 planes
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 02:59:06 AM »
Took them eight years to figure that out...? Or did the US urge them now...?

24 2nd hand fighters and 24 attack helicopters instead of 48 new fighters, is roughly a 50% cut. Should free up some more funds for other more vital equipment and training.

A lot can be said in favor of F-16s, but if they want Aviastar to have a future, I think they'd better seal a nice deal with SAAB instead, and have Aviastar become the maintenance hub for Eastern European Gripens.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 03:02:12 AM by Webmaster »
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 03:01:59 PM »
Maybe a European Vipers hub might be in the works?  Webmaster by any chance do you know what type of attack helicopters?  I reread the article but it didn't mention the type I assume Cobra's since there may be buying used Vipers. 

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 04:45:30 PM »
Yes, but in Poland.

No, I don't know, first time I heard about those plans, maybe they are just armed light helicopters...
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA