MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Swiss-New initiative against fighter jets  (Read 4220 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Swiss-New initiative against fighter jets
« on: April 02, 2008, 03:15:50 AM »
Swiss voters are likely to be called upon to express their opinion on the purchase of fighter jets.

The pacifist organization, Group for Switzerland without an Army, says it plans to collect the necessary signatures to force a nationwide vote on defense spending.

The people's initiative calls for a ten-year arms moratorium on the purchase of fighter jets.

The group which has 18 months to collect the at least 100,000 signatures, said it would launch its campaign this summer.

The move aims to derail government plans to replace 54 Tiger fighter jets which will be withdrawn from service between 2011 and 2013.

Talks are already underway with four aircraft manufacturers on the SFr2.5 billion ($2.5 billion) deal and test flights are planned later this year.

The Swiss air force fleet, which includes 118 F/A-18 Hornet and Tiger jets, has been revamped and the number of airbases was reduced over the past few years.

link
http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/news_digest/New_initiative_against_fighter_jets.html?siteSect=104&sid=8912217&cKey=1206900790000&ty=nd

Offline Globetrotter

• Hero of Flight
  • I'm Thomas (now Globetrotter)
Re: Swiss-New initiative against fighter jets
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 04:14:32 AM »
I think it's logical... The country wasn't very much involved in the past two WW, and I don't see how it could get involved in a future conflict.

Just keep the Patrouille Suiss, please ;D
"Ad Astra Per Aspera"   (5º Grupo de Caza ≈ A-4AR Fightinghawk)

~ MALVINAS ARGENTINAS ~

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Re: Swiss-New initiative against fighter jets
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 02:49:56 PM »
I think it's safe to assume the 54 F-5 Tigers could be sold or retired.  I could think of a few countries that might be interested in pick a few up and not most of them depending on what shape there in.  Maybe upgrading 50 or 60 Hornets the way Canada did a year or so ago and putting the rest in storage.  Bases would close, people around the bases would lose there jobs, stores and housing around the bases are effective, it's a complex issue when large cuts are made.   I saw a Canadian F-5 at an air show once loud engines for a little fighter.  It is a small country that's not surrounded by hostile enemy in a war torn area.

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA