MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Trading places exchange posting F-16 to Typhoon  (Read 3217 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Trading places exchange posting F-16 to Typhoon
« on: June 23, 2008, 03:29:59 AM »
Trading places
The first US Air Force pilot to fly the Typhoon on exchange with the RAF has described the aircraft as one that will transform the RAF.

When F-16 pilot Maj. Paul ‘PK’ Carlton was given the opportunity of applying for an exchange posting, he had no hesitation in selecting a tour with the RAF. ‘I was attracted by the opportunity to fly a new aeroplane, to go somewhere different and be part of developing the tactics and procedures on a new aircraft.’

After 20 hours flying Hawks at RAF Valley to familiarise himself with UK airspace and procedures, PK joined 29 (R) Sqn to convert onto Typhoon. ‘My first impression of Typhoon was it had lots of things which make pilots happy – thrust, speed, altitude and turn capability. It’s a lot of fun to fly and Typhoon is certainly going to transform the RAF. As it moves forward in it’s development Typhoon will become a larger and larger player in coalition operations.’

Asked to comment on the differences between the USAF and RAF the Major said, “The main one is size, a US Air Force Squadron has between two and three times the number of aircraft, pilots and personnel.” He added, “There’s also a very different attitude and culture. However it’s the people who make or break what you do and the very reason I am here is to engage with people and I’ve enjoyed the opportunity of integrating into the local culture.”

The Major, who is now one of four American pilots at Coningsby, has also enjoyed the opportunity of contributing to development of the Typhoon in service. “We bring a balance to the training programme. With our experience of multi-role aircraft we can provide input on where best to place emphasis to meet the mission.’

Full story
http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/archive.cfm?storyid=A51A9276-1143-EC82-2ECB38B4660B8F66

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA