Historic Aviation > Warbirds

Best fighter pilot of ww2?

<< < (2/8) > >>

Goose:
Numbers speak for them selves.

Sure the type and quality of an aircraft mean something but put an ace in an old aircraft and he/she will bag a rookie in an advanced one. Adolf Galland himself said "Only the spirit of attack born of a brave heart will bring success to any aircraft no matter how advanced it may be." But bear in mind that Eric Hartman flew continuously for years while guys on the allied side flew for a while and were then pulled to the rear to help the war effort by training others. All of these men in this poll are efficient at what they do to more or less a certain higher level than others.

Personally my vote is for Eric Hartman. Beacuse even taking into consideration the length of time he was an active pilot, he STAYED ALIVE during this time also despite being shot down on many ocassions. Hartman got 10 P-51s before being shot down for the fianl time and being captured. And that was when the odds couldn't be any worse.

Viggen:
Well, how about Chuck Yeager then? He may not have as many kills as these above, but he was an excellent pilot during WW II. Remember that he shot down 3 or  was it 5 enemy planes in one day.  :)

alyster:
I added him. And he did have 5 kills on one day and a month later he had 4 kills on one day. It's a nice score for a USAAF pilot.

Viggen:
Cool, thanks Alyster! I wish i vote on Chuckie, but since i already voted on the "German" i have to live with it.  ;)

Webmaster:
352 is huge number, so can't resist voting for him, it may have been on the eastern front, but we have a Russian ace here as well you know. But you are right. Maybe I should have voted for the Russian, he was up against experienced pilots flying more advanced aircraft.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version