Military Aviation > Air Forces

Which Air-Force is Best II

<< < (5/8) > >>

Gripen:
Russian Air Forced Sucked in WW2?

Um, wasnt Russia on the winning side?

Luftwaffe was completely destroyed, while the Russian Air Force got bigger?

Oh i totally see how they sucked ^0)

Raptor:
They made a few hundred to one loss in the german's favour.

I saw the point, alyster, thought you were ignoring the cold war fact. sorry. ;D

I've got something, but i need a bit more research into the matter.

alyster:

--- Quote from: Gripen on October 25, 2007, 08:09:03 AM ---Russian Air Forced Sucked in WW2?

Um, wasnt Russia on the winning side?

Luftwaffe was completely destroyed, while the Russian Air Force got bigger?

Oh i totally see how they sucked ^0)

--- End quote ---

Perhaps because Luftwaffe was being destoried from the west by anglo-american hordes?

Didn't you read my previous posts at all? Luftwaffe killed soviets like flies, although Luftwaffe was out numbered at best days by 4-5 times, at worst days alot and alot more.
Luftwaffe's standart fact was that once a fighter pilot had been transfered to eastern front, he shouldn't be transfered to west anymore, because he'll get lazy due to the untrained soviet pilots and would be easily killed by RAF or USAAF.

That their numbers grew is way over simplification and is due to their vast industry not their success. Like I said, Stalin had reserves, 150 000 pilots ready by 1941.

It's not [edit :) ]about Luftwaffe alone. Finnish Air Force did very succesfully against red air force aswell.

Raptor, my point is that Cold war factor alone wouldn't make that the best air force if we include history, like it was said above. Think if you can send 5 planes against one and you're being constantly blown out of the skies, does it really make you any good?

Viggen:
After checking out some history about Russias air force during WW2. I must agree with Alyster, russians where still flying Bi-winged fighters until the Brittish and US help them out with selling them more modern fighters of the era. Which they started to massproduced under licence.

Webmaster:
Guys, if two members start a discussion and then close it saying it's going off topic, why are you opening it up again.

If you would like to read about the RNLAF, pls go here : http://www.milavia.net/airforces/netherlands/rnlaf.htm and http://www.milavia.net/airforces/netherlands/rnlaf_his.htm for the history.

I've written it once, not want to do it twice. I'll just do some bragging here:  ;D

* WWI - were not in it, but captured 107 aircraft  ;D Best way to start an air force, free planes!
* WWII - 1940 - Germans attack with 1000 aircraft - Dutch kill ratio 350 vs 94 in five days. No Hurricanes/Spitfires, only ageing Fokkers, mostly still wood and linen. It now comes out, this German mistake was one of the reasons why the Germans could not win the Battle of Britain or at least didn't have enough transports to launch an invasion.
* WWII post-1940 - more fighter against the Germans as RAF squadron
* 1948 - First jet aircraft - Meteor
* Cold War - F-84, F-86, F-104, NF-5 and 213 F-16s. and USAF fighters from F-100 up to F-15A based in the country. Nuclear arsenal at Volkel.
* Modern era - reforms, F-16 upgrades, bigger transports, air refuelling aircraft and new helicopter fleet for air mobile infantry, Cougars, Chinooks and Apaches, ready for the new tasks
* 1999 - the Serbian MiG-29 kill
* 2003-2004 - Chinooks/Cougars to Iraq
* Since 2002, deployment to Afghanistan, F-16s, Apaches, Cougar/Chinooks
Not air force, but something you might find interesting: The Netherlands had an aircraft carrier! Karel Doorman, sold off to Argentina. The Navy also had P-3 Orions until recently...sold to Germany/Portugal.

Let me know if you want to know more.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version