Military Aviation > Air Forces

Which Air-Force is Best II

<< < (6/8) > >>

Globetrotter:
Yep, that's the carrier that we had (rename 25 de Mayo here) until it was sent as junk to Southafrica, where it is still,  I believe, a disco. It was carried by other ship, didn't even function on itself. :-X

Gripen:
if the luftwaffe was that good then they should have still won, no matter how many planes were being used AGAINST them

alyster:
No one is saying Luftwaffe was some supernatural air force. But soviet air force was just way worse. Like I said soviets out numbered Germans 5 to 1, Germans had to battle the RAF at the same time and pretty soon the USAAF also. Anglo-American forces were able to put up more heavy bombers against Germany than Luftwaffe was able to put up fighters in operation Barbarossa. The fact that Soviet Union won the war had little to do with their air force.

Like I said Luftwaffe wasn't only one fighting sucesfully against soviets, but also finnic air force. With little over 500 planes which weren't always the top of their class, they scored over 1600 kills while losing bit over 200 planes themselves and while succeeding at their primary goal - keeping air supiriority above Finland. With old F2A Buffalos they managed to achive 32 to 1 kill ratio against the soviets. [I'm talking of the Continuation war not Winter war here]

BTW it's really impossible for an air force to win a war if the army fails.

I understand you may have issues with it, because Luftwaffe was serving a nazi regime. I don't like the regime neither, but the air force deserves some credit. Although Luftwaffe and Soviet Air Force both served horrible terror regimes, allied air forces were more hostile to civilians. In Europe alone they killed 300 0001-500 000 cvilians, in Japan they killed in one night alone 100 000 civilians.

1 - Strategic Bombing survey - Europe.

Raptor:
I see. Hm. Ok. Now which air force do we pit at each other first? ;D

jkjk. On the RSAF. We started out with a bunch of cessnas. Trainers actually.

The history is basically pretty boring, but there are some really funny anecdotes, such as one in which a pilot got a coconut tree stuck on his Hunter's wing while flying low.
He was ordered to eject. He ignored and tried to land.
And he landed with the entire plane, coconut tree and pilot intact.
Unfortunately, he was court-martialled. ;D

There's another one where one of our pilots crashed in Taiwan or Thailand. Can't remember.
Anyway, the USA tried to get it out. Brought a bunch of chainsaws there.
Tried to saw off the Hunter's wings. Unfortunately, the chainsaws broke down before they could make much of a proper dent. ;D

In the end, the sawed down all the trees around it to drag it out. ;D

That says more about the maker than the air force, but still, it happened here. *shrug* ;D

Sergei:
Strange... I thought, this theme is devoted to Air Forces of the various countries of the world, and it turns out, that here discuss opposition VVS RKKA with Luftwaffe.

Let's finish with this discussion. Start up everyone remains at the opinion. I shall tell so: Soviet Union has won, and the Third Reich has lost. The communistic authority is opposite to me, but it does not mean, that I should underestimate merits RKKA as it's done by many modern historians.

As to Rezuna - that he the traitor, and he in every possible way deformed historical the facts (about what to speak if rough imagination Rezuna has invented one million Soviet parachuters). Another matter Mark Solonin. Нe the statements supports all sources and references. I suggest to close this theme.

Raptor, how the Singapore fighting planes are located on such small territory as Singapore? Always it was interesting to me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version